Identity card of the Life Jura peatlands program
Name : Life Jura peatlands
Duration : 6 years (from june 2014 to novembre 2020)
Overall budget : 8 051 163 euros
Location : Jura mountains of Franche-Comté
Interventions : 60 bogs spread over 16 Natura 2000 sites
Coordinating-beneficiary : Conservatoire d’espaces naturels de Franche-Comté
Associated-beneficiaries : Syndicat mixte des milieux aquatiques du Haut-Doubs, Parc naturel régional du Haut-Jura, Association des amis de la Réserve naturelle du lac de Remoray, Syndicat mixte d’aménagement du Dessoubre et de valorisation du bassin versant et DREAL Franche-Comté
Financial partners : Union européenne, Agence de l’eau Rhône Méditerranée Corse, Conseil régional de Franche-Comté, Départements du Doubs et du Jura.
In the 1990s
Two Life programs have served as an impetus to the dynamics of the Jura peatland conservation:
- The Life "Saving the biological wealth of Drugeon basin" (1993-1997 / Beneficiary : SIVOM Frasne in 1993) had allowed to remeander 3.5 km of the Drugeon stream and to implement management work on 400 ha of peatlands.
- The Life "Peatlands of France" (1995-1999 / Beneficiary-coordinator : Fédération des conservatoires d'espaces naturels) allowed to achieve a comprehensive inventory of peatlands in Franche-Comte, to define an intervention strategy across the region and to work on several bogs.
The Natura 2000 sites designation process has sought to incorporate a significant number of bogs in the network. Today, 162 of the 247 Jura Montains' peatlands of Franche-Comté are part of a Natura 2000 site.
In 2002 and following the Life "Peatlands of France", the Conservatoire d'espaces naturels of Franche-Comté (CEN) initiated a planned approach for the protection of Franche-Comté peatlands.
The same year, the Pôle-relais Tourbières of France was created with the purpose of promoting the sustainable management of these habitats. Located in the Franche-Comté since its inception, the structure has developed specific actions for the preservation of the Jura peatlands (meeting of managers, counseling, provision of information, support for local initiatives, etc.).
Meanwhile, in the Jura mountains, other actors have also emerged or continued their actions for the peatlands' preservation : Association des amis de la réserve naturelle du lac de Remoray, Parc naturel régional du Haut-Jura, municipality communities, local authorities, etc.
Thus, a number of management projects were conducted in the Doubs and the Jura. Some examples implemented in Natura 2000 sites:
- rehabilitation of peat extraction area "Sur les Seignes" at Frambouhans (Natura 2000 site "Peatlands of Cerneux-Gourinots (...)") by CEN Franche-Comté;
- degraded Crossat raised bog rehabilitation works and remeandring of the Lhaut, the Drésine and the Vurpillières streams (Natura 2000 site "Peatlands and lake of Remoray and surrounding areas") by l'association Les amis de la Réserve naturel du lac de Remoray;
- Hydraulic restoration of the Levresses and the Sarre à Cordier peatlands in Frasne by neutralizing drains (Natura 2000 site "Drugeon Basin") led by the Syndicat mixte des milieux aquatiques du Haut-Doubs.
- remeandring work of the Lemme stream and the crek of "de devant" at Fort-du-Plasne / La Chaumusse (Natura 2000 site "Grandvaux") by the Parc naturel régional du Haut-Jura.
During these years, the importance of hydraulic functioning has gradually become as essential for the peatlands conservation.
A new regional dynamics, including all the stakeholders in the peatlands preservation in Franche-Comte, is currently running, coordinated by the CEN Franche-Comté. An action plan is being developed and benefits from the experience of all the regional players in the last two decades.
To meet the challenges of frames and thus sustainably conserve species and habitats of community interest, it is important to work on a larger scale, on the whole of the Jura Franche-Comté network. The 'usual' funds available showing their limits, the need to mount a LIFE + project were therefore agreed.